Sunday, May 13, 2012

At Sara's Table ~ Chester Creek Cafe (Duluth)

Took a road trip for Mother's Day, and visited one of our new favorite places in Duluth.  We've been here before, having been directed here through Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives.  This time tho, we ended up visiting on a weekend.

ASTCCC is a local diner, run by locals.  Weekends, all they serve is brunch.  And by 'brunch', I mean 'breakfast items with a couple of sandwich options'.  Having breakfast at 1 in the afternoon is a little...odd, but I dealt with it :)

I went with "Diane's Famous House-made Cranberry Wild Rice Bread French Toast", with a side of two eggs (priced by the egg!) and a side of bacon.  Not only is the name of the dish a mouthful, the meal was too.  The bread was huge!  Think of Texas Toast - now, about 25% larger than that.  The toast was served with a side of locally harvested Maple Syrup and a house-made Oatmeal Stout Beer syrup.  I could taste the maple, definitely.  I wasn't so sure about the Stout.  It was dark, and not like your regular syrup.  I suspect it might be an acquired taste.

The french toast was very filling.  You could see the cranberries and the wild rice.  The rice added an interesting texture, but I was hard-pressed to taste the tartness of the cranberries.  Maybe because it was near the end of the day, and the bread wasn't as fresh as it might have been at 7am.  Not that I'm complaining.  As I said, it was very filling, it was nice and hot, melting the butter almost immediately.  The bacon was nice and crispy, the way I like it (but not burnt-crispy), and the eggs were over medium(ish), as I asked, although I think they edged towards over easy. 

(I've yet to find the right 'over medium' egg.  Over easy is way too runny, over hard is usually 'fried egg sandwich' style, and over medium is too 'easy' for me.  I wonder if I can order an egg 'medium-hard'?)

Overall, a good place to eat.  The interior style was rather 'eclectic', actually making you feel like you were in somone's kitchen or dining room, and not in an actual restaurant.  It's a little difficult to find the first time, if you're new to Duluth, but once you find it, mark it on your map.  You will be back (and so will we!).

No comments:

Post a Comment